EM Mode boot procedures

[复制链接]
222ba 发表于 2013-12-6 18:17:12 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

注册WIFIHELL,浏览更多技术贴!

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?注册WIFIHELL

x
原文:http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=10182.0
Booting into EM ModeIntroduction
"What is EM and why is it not documented in the user manual?" EM is known both as Engineering Mode and Emergency Mode. The simplest answer that I can give is to help recover the NAS device to its original function. The reason it's not documented is because if you're unsure of what you're doing you can, in fact damage your NAS to the point of non-functionality. In lieu of this being said I will note now: Engineering Mode is for NAS firmware recovery purposes and is not to be utilized to let your NAS limp to its death. You may attempt booting into EM for data recovery purposes but it is not guaranteed to allow you to access your data if corrupt firmware is involved or not.

List of Devices Covered in This FAQLinkStations

• Pro (LS-GL and LS-XHL LS VL)
    • Live (HS-DHGL and LS-CHL)
    • Pro Duo (LS-WTGL and LS-WXL LS-WVL)

TeraStations
  • Live (HS-DHTGL)
  • Pro (TS-TGL)
  • Pro II (TS-HGL and TS-RHGL)
  • TS III (TS-XL, TS V series)
How Do I Tell if my NAS is in EM Mode?
The most surefire way to tell if your NAS is in EM mode is by looking at the NAS Navigator. Since the NAS Navigator is a universal program which allows it to see multiple products (i.e. you don't need a different NAS Navigator program to see a LinkStation Pro Duo and a TeraStation Pro II) you don't need to download a separate application for each NAS. An alternate method (for those units equipped) is to look at the front LCD readout (commonly on the TeraStation series) and see if the unit has an IP address. More to the point within the NAS Navigator program next to the hostname of the NAS you should see "-EM". Sometimes when you attempt to put a NAS into EM the NAS Navigator will not show "-EM". This is acceptable if your goal is to attempt to update the firmware or access the files of the NAS as it is being seen on the network.

How to put a NAS into EM
Each NAS will vary whereas some will be similar in the process of being put into EM. So we'll start with the LinkStation series and work our way to the TeraStations.

LinkStation (HS-DHGL and LS-GL)

• Make sure that your NAS is powered off
    • Hold down the RESET/INIT button on the NAS (should be located on the back of the NAS)
    • While continuing to hold down the RESET/INIT button power the NAS on (a little tune or chime will signal a successful EM boot attempt)
    • Release the RESET/INIT button
    • It will take approximately 1 minute for the device to boot and acquire an IP address
NOTE: If you still don't see the device on the NAS Navigator after 60 seconds then I would suggest checking out the possibility of performing a TFTP boot here. Please be advised that for older NAS models that a TFTP boot option may not be possible at which point I would suggest seeking the assistance of a 3rd party data recovery professional.
  • Once the NAS shows up on the NAS Navigator you may attempt to access your data or re-flash the firmware

LinkStation (LS-CHL, LS-XHL LS-VL , LS-WTGL and LS-WXL, LS WVL)
NOTE: The FUNCTION button for the LS-CHL and LS-XHL series is located on the front of the NAS whereas the LS-WTGL has the FUNC button on the back.

• Make sure that your NAS is powered off
    • Hold down the FUNC/FUNCTION button for at least 6 seconds before powering the NAS on (LS-CHL and LS-XHL have their function button on the front whereas the LS-WTGL and LS-WXL have theirs on the back)
    • While continuing to hold down the FUNC/FUNCTION button power the NAS onAt this point it varies for these units so please read carefully:
      • LS-CHL and : The FUNCTION button will start blinking at which point you release the button and hold it down for an additional 10 seconds or until the FUNCTION button goes solid. At this point you may release the FUNCTION button
      • LS-WTGL and : The POWER light on the front of the unit will begin blinking blue rapidly at which point you may release the FUNC button. The POWER light should turn green in approximately 60 seconds
      • LS-XHL, LS-WXL, LS-VL and LS- WVL : These units do not have any procedure to boot into EM mode. The unit will automatically boot into EM mode if it needs to. If the unit is not booting at all you need to follow the TFTP boot procedure for the LS-XHL and LS-WXL. At the moment the LS-VL and LS-WVL units do not have a TFTP boot program and a fix is being worked on.
NOTE: If you still don't see the device on the NAS Navigator after 120 seconds, then I would suggest performing a TFTP boot.
  • Once the NAS shows up on the NAS Navigator you may attempt to access your data or re-flash the firmware

TeraStation (HD-HGL)

• Make sure the NAS is powered off
    • Hold down the INIT button in the back of the NAS
    • While continuing to hold down the INIT button power the NAS on (a little tune or chime should signal a successful EM boot attempt)
    • Release the INIT button
    • The DIAG and POWER lights should blink in unison and the Hard Disk Status lights should start spinning in a ring.
    • After 120 seconds your NAS should be seen on the network by the NAS Navigator
NOTE: If you're still not able to see the device after this time it could be due to the NAS performing a Disk Check. The length of the Disk Check can vary depending on the NAS size. If a Disk Check continues for more than 24 hours then I'm afraid due to the age of this unit that a TFTP option is not available and would suggest seeking the assistance of a 3rd party data recovery professional.

TeraStation (HS-DHTGL, TS-GL and TS-HGL, TS-XL, TS-WXL, V series TeraStations)

• Open the front door that allows access to the Hard Disk Drives (you will need your key to do so if you don't have one and you're in the USA or Canada you can contact our Technical Support 24/7/365 at 866-752-6210)
    • Hold down the INIT button (Red button on newer units) on the middle underside of the LCD display
    • While continuing to hold down the INIT button power the NAS on (a little tune or chime will signal a successful EM boot)
    • If the LCD reads "System EM Booting" then you may release the INIT button
    • After 120 seconds the NAS Navigator should not only find the unit, but the LCD display should show a link status (i.e. IP address, Hard Disk space used, etc)
NOTE: If you still don't see the device on the NAS Navigator or the LCD display still shows "System EM Booting" after 120 seconds, then I would suggest performing a TFTP boot.

TeraStation Rackmount (TS-RHGL)

• Carefully pull the front face plate of the NAS off (you will need your key for this if you don't have one and you're in the USA or Canada you can contact our Technical Support 24/7/365 at 866-752-6210)
    • Hold down the INIT button should be a small protrusion located on the left underside of the LCD display
    • While continuing to hold down the INIT button power the NAS on (a little tune or chime will signal a successful EM boot)
    • Release the INIT button
    • After 120 seconds the NAS Navigator should not only find the unit, but the LCD display should show a link status (i.e. IP address, Hard Disk space used, etc)
NOTE: If you still don't see the device on the NAS Navigator or the LCD display still shows "System EM Booting" after 120 seconds, then I would suggest performing a TFTP boot.

In closing, most things don't go according to plan and these NAS devices are no exception to that rule. In the event you start experiencing strange activity (i.e. no Hard Disks being found, other error codes, etc) I would suggest either posting a thread on the Storage forum or contacting your regions respective technical support.

-OP : Dustrega.

WIFIHELL | 万丰乐活 2020开启新的征程,好货不断!
关闭

站点推荐上一条 /1 下一条

万丰乐活

GMT+8, 2024-4-23 20:07